Kathleen M. Toombs — Professional Profile
Kathleen M. Toombs is an Attorney with more than twenty years’ experience practicing primarily in the areas of Elder Law (including Health Care Proxies, Powers of Attorney, Guardianships and Wills), Medicaid Planning and Application, Trust and Estate Planning, Estate Administration, Veteran’s Benefits and Real Estate. A core value that Ms. Toombs brings to her practice is a commitment to personal service and compassion for the individuals and families she works with.
Ms. Toombs is a member of the New York State and Schenectady County Bar Associations, where she chaired the Estate Planning and Elder Law Committee from 2003 to 2008. She is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) and Elder Counsel. Ms. Toombs speaks frequently at public and professional seminars on Elder Law, Estate and Medicaid Planning. Ms. Toombs served as an Associate Justice for the Village of Scotia for five years.
Ms. Toombs received her J.D. (cum laude) from Albany Law School of Union University in 1998, with a concentration in the field of Family and Elder Law, and was a member of the Justinian Society. She received her B.A. from University at Albany, State University of New York, and her A.A. from Schenectady County Community College. While completing her education, Ms. Toombs also held several clerkships in the public and private sectors.
Kathleen M. Toombs Community — Leader Profile
Ms. Toombs is very active in local civic and community organizations. She is a past president of Glenville Rotary and Treasurer of Glenville Business and Professional Association and Glenville Oktoberfest. Additionally, Ms. Toombs’ participates in international humanitarian efforts focusing on clean water and sanitation, children’s health and menstrual hygiene support in third-world countries.
She is a former Girl Scout Leader, past Vice President and Secretary of the Board of Trustees of Historic Cherry Hill and a past Director of the Schenectady YMCA.
Areas of Practice
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Medicaid and Nursing Home Admissions
- Real Estate
- New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York J.D. cum laude – 1998
- Honors: Government Law Center Award, Justinian Society
- Major: Concentration in the field of Family & Elder Law
- University at Albany, State University of New York B.A. – 1995
- Major: American History, Minor: Business
- Schenectady County Community College A.A. summa cum laude – 1994
- Major: Humanities and Social Sciences
- NBT Bank
- Peterson, Compoli & Associates, CPAs, PLLC
- Sykes-Mallia Insurance
- Beth Kissinger, CPA
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- New York State Bar Association, 1999 – Present
- New York State Bar Association, Empire State Counsel, 2008, 2009 and 2010
- Schenectady County Bar Association, Estate Planning & Elder Law Committee, Chair 2003-2008
- Rotary International, Glenville Chapter, 2010 – Present
- Community Land Trust of Schenectady, Inc., General Counsel, 2006 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Principal Closing Services, Clifton Park, New York, Attorney, 1998 – 1999
- Salmon and Salmon, LLP, Amsterdam, New York, Attorney, 1999 – 2002
- Herzog, Engstrom & Koplovitz, P.C., Albany, New York, Associate / Partner, 2002 – 2007
Pro Bono Activities
- Legal Aid Society Northeastern New York